Filipino Style Recipe: mechado recipe is a beef stew originally from Spanish that has become very popular in Filipino cuisine. A typical mechado dish consists of a beef but we will used pork in this recipe. The meat cooked in tomato sauce with potatoes, carrots and bell peppers then usually seasoned with soy sauce, bay leaves and vinegar. It is similar to several other tomato-based dishes such as kalderata, menudo and afritada.
Good for 4-6 persons.
500 grams pork with fat, cut into chunk
2 cups tomato sauce or 1/2 cup tomato paste
2 onions, quartered
5 cloves garlic
3 bay leaves(laurel)
4 medium potatoes, quartered
2 bell pepper, sliced
2 cups beef stock or beef cubes dissolved in water
1 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 carrot, cut into cubes(optional)
1/2 cup green peas(optional)
1/4 cup vinegar(optional)
1. In a pan heat oil and fry potatoes and carrots until golden brown.
2. Drain and set aside.
1. In a pot, heat oil and saute garlic and onions.
2. Add pork, fish sauce and soy sauce then continue sauteing until color turns to brown.
3. Pour tomato sauce, bay leaves and beef stock then simmer until tender. Add water if necessary.
4. Add vinegar and boil again for 2-3 minutes. Do not stir.
5. Add carrots, potatoes, green peas and bell pepper. Simmer for 3 minutes.
6. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper according to taste.
7. Transfer to serving plate and serve with steamed rice.
Powered by Facebook Comments