2 medium sweet potato, peeled and julienned
1 cup sliced mushroom
1 cup chopped spinach
100 grams flour
1/4 cup milk
1 raw egg
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
vegetable oil for frying
Mint leaves for garnishing (optional)
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, milk, and egg then season with sugar and salt.
2. Continue stirring until well blended.
3. Add spinach, sweet potato and mushroom then mix until evenly coated.
1. In a frying pan, heat oil then scoop a tablespoon of mixture. Fry over low heat until golden brown both side. Drain on paper towels.
2.Transfer to serving plate then garnish with mint leaves. Serve hot with dipping sauce.
Filipino Style Recipe: Chicken Wings Adobo with Sweet Potato is another variety of popular Filipino Adobo. This dish is similar to traditional chicken adobo with fried sweet potato.
350 grams chicken wings, cut into serving pieces
3-4 pieces sweet potato(kamote), cut into wedges
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup vinegar
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon peppercorns
3 pieces bay leaves(laurel)
3 pieces green chili (siling haba)
2 tablespoons sugar
salt to taste
1/4 cup cooking oil
1-2 cups chicken broth
1. In a pot, combine chicken, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, soy sauce and vinegar.
2. Marinate chicken for at least 30 minutes.
3. Drain garlic and chicken then reserve the sauce. Set aside.
1. In a pan, heat oil then fry sweet potato until light brown. Remove and set aside.
1. In a same pan, fry marinated chicken for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
2. Reduce oil to 1 tablespoon. Add ginger and garlic then fry until light brown.
3. Pour marinade and water then simmer for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is tender. Add more water if necessary.
4. Add fried sweet potato, sugar and green chili then adjust seasoning according to taste.
5. Remove from heat then transfer to serving bowl. Serve with steamed rice.
Filipino Style Recipe: Baked kamote fries is a popular snack that consists of slices of sweet potatoes. The sweet potatoes coated in cornstarch then seasoned with olive oil, cayenne and salt. Baked in a preheat oven for 30 minutes or until browned and crisp then serve as snack, appetizer or side dish.
Estimated time of preparation: 15 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 30 minutes(plus cooling time)
Good for 4-6 servings
3 large-sized sweet potatoes(kamote), peeled and cut into slices
1/2 cup cornstarch
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
1. In a large bowl, combine potatoes and cornstarch then stir to coat evenly. Strain to remove excess cornstarch.
2. In a separate bowl, combine potatoes, olive oil, cayenne and salt then toss to coat evenly.
3. Arrange in grease baking sheet then bake in a preheated oven over 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. (15 minutes each side or until browned).
4. Turn off the heat then let it cool inside the oven for another 15 minutes. Serve with dipping sauce.
Filipino Style Recipe: Kalingking or sweet potato fritters is another typical Filipino meryenda(mid-afternoon snack). Kalingking is normally consists of sweet potato(kamote) cut into strips then dipped in a combination of flour, milk, salt and sugar then deep fried until golden brown. Kalingking is similar to maruya or banana fritters.
Estimated time of preparation and cooking: 30-40 minutes
Good for 3-4 persons
1 kilo sweet potato(kamote), cut into short strips
3 cup flour
1 cup milk or water
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt(optional)
oil for frying
1. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and milk. Mix well then dip sweet potato until well coated.
1. In a pan, heat oil and deep fry the sweet potato(dipped in batter) until golden brown and crispy.
2. Drain then serve then sprinkle with sugar.
Filipino Style Recipe: kamote cue is a popular Filipino meryenda(mid-afternoon snack). It is normally a sweet potatoes deep fried with a coating of caramelized brown sugar.
Estimated time of preparation and cooking: 15-20 minutes
Good for 2-3 servings
1 kilo sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced about 1/2 inch thick
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1. In a pot, heat oil until boiling.
2. Add brown sugar and cook until the sugar has melted.
3. Add the sliced sweet potatoes and fry for 5-8 minutes.
4. Remove the sweet potato and let it cool for a few minutes. Done!
1. You may use barbeque sticks for a better presentation.
1. You may also add cinnamon powder when they are done.