Filipino Style Recipe: beef mechado is another tomato based dish consists of a beef, potatoes, and tomato sauce. This dish is usually seasoned with onion, soy sauce, bay leaves and vinegar. Beef mechado is almost similar to several other beef dishes such as kalderata, adobo and kare-kare.
Estimated time of preparation: 15 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 70-80 minutes
Good for 4-6 persons
1 kilo beef with fat, cut into cubes
2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
2 onions, quartered
3 bay leaves(laurel)
3 medium potatoes, quartered
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 cup soy sauce
3 cups beef stock or beef cubes dissolved in water
salt and pepper to taste
cooking oil for frying
2 carrots, cut into cubes(optional)
1/4 cup vinegar(optional)
1. In a frying pan, heat oil then fry potatoes and carrots until light brown. Drain and set aside.
1. In a casserole, combine the beef, onions, tomato sauce, soy sauce, bay leaves and beef stock.
2. Boil for at least 1 hour or until beef is tender, Add water as needed.
3. Add vinegar and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Do not stir.
4. Add bell pepper, potatoes and carrots then cook for 3 minutes or until tender.
5. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper according to taste. Add sugar if you prefer.
6. Remove from heat and transfer to serving plate then serve with steamed rice.
Powered by Facebook Comments