3 pieces eggplant,peeled and cut lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
Oil for frying
2 tablespoon butter
1 head onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 kilo ground beef
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon fine herbs (i used fried oregano and basil)
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1 egg yolk, beaten (optional)
1 egg white, beaten until stiff(optional)
2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
For the White Sauce:
2 cups evaporated milk
1/4 cup butter
4 tablespoon all purpose flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1. Heat oil in a pan and fry the eggplants until slightly browned.Remove eggplant from the pan and set aside on top of paper towel to remove excess oil.
2. In a large pan, melt butter. Saute garlic and onion until translucent. Add the beef and cook until light brown. Add the spices and herbs ; salt, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, dried basil, and dried oregano. Pour the tomato sauce and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. To make the Bechamel sauce(white sauce), in a pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add the flour and whisk continuously until smooth and thick. Lower the heat and gradually add the milk while continuously stirring. Whisk until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
(Optional: When the sauce is slightly cooled, add beaten egg yolk and whisk until well mixed. Fold in beaten egg whites until fully incorporated.)
4. In a 9×3 baking pan, arrange the fried eggplants in one layer. Top with the cooked beef then sprinkle with half of the cheddar cheese. Put another layer of the remaining eggplant over the cheese. Pour the Bechamel sauce on top then sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
5. Put in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Filipino Style Recipe: Wild Mushroom Soup is a delicious rich in flavor soup dish made of different types of mushroom cooked in beef broth and flour. This dish is usually serve as starter or during rainy season.
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1/2 cup thinly sliced button mushrooms
1/2 cup fresh chopped oyster mushrooms
1/2 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon fresh parsley
2 tablespoons brandy
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
4 cups beef broth
1. In a pan, melt butter then saute onion.
2. Add mushrooms and parsley then saute until brown.
3. Add brandy then simmer for half a minute.
4. Add beef broth and flour then stir slowly until well combined.
5. Simmer for 10 minutes then season with salt and pepper.
6. Transfer to serving plate. Drizzle with milk(optional) then garnish with dried parsley.
7. Serve with bread.
Filipino Style Recipe: Smoked Salmon Nigiri is one of the most common type of sushi. Nigiri is consist of a piece of raw salmon layered on top of a small roll of rice.
1 smoked salmon fillet, slice into serving pieces
Wasabi (spicy Japanese paste)
sugar and salt
1. Cook sushi rice with a little salt added.
2. Dissolve sugar into a rice vinegar.
3. When the rice has cooked, add the dissolved sugar and mix thoroughly. The rice will now become even more sticky and clumpy.
4. Let it cool and set aside.
1. Moisten your hands with water, scoop 2 tablespoons of rice then roll and squeeze until it firm shape.
2. Grease one side of fish slice with small amount of wasabi.
3. Place on the rice with wasabi side on the rice.
4. Serve with dipping sauce.
Filipino Style Recipe: ginataang bilo-bilo or sticky rice balls in sweet coconut milk is another variety of popular Filipino mid-afternoon snack (meryenda) that is usually served in any special occasion. It is consist of sticky rice balls cooked in sweetened coconut milk together with other ingredients.
Glutinous Rice Balls(bilo-bilo):
1 cup glutinous rice flour(malagkit)
1/2 cup water
3 cans(400 ml) coconut milk
1 can(400 ml) coconut cream
300 grams white sugar
200 grams tapioca pearls(sago)
200 grams sweet potato(camote), peeled and cut into cubed
200 grams taro(gabi), peeled and cut into cubed
6 pieces ripe plantain bananas(saging na saba), peeled and sliced
250 grams ripe jack fruit(langka)
1. In a bowl, mix rice flour and water to make a dough-like consistency.
2. Get a small piece and form into small ball about 1/2 inch in diameter.
3. Repeat this step until all the dough are consumed. Set aside
1. In a big pot, pour coconut milk and bring to boil.
2. Add tapioca pearls, sweet potatoes and taro. Simmer uncovered until the pearls are cooked.
3. Add banana, jack fruit and rice balls. Simmer until all the rice balls has floated in the surface.
4. Pour coconut milk and sugar to taste.
5. Transfer to serving bowl then serve.
Filipino Style Recipe: Chicken and Pork Red Curry is another mouth-watering dish inspired to Indian and Islamic cuisine. This dish is another variety of typical Filipino curry dish. The dish is usually made of chicken and pork meat cooked in cream, curry powder and chilies until tender. Curry is one of the popular spices that gives a spicy and strong flavor.
1/2 kilo pork, cut into serving pieces
1/2 chicken, cut into serving pieces
3 potatoes, quartered
2 carrots, cut into cubes
2 bell peppers(red & green), slice into strips
1 cup all purpose cream
3 tablespoons red curry powder(dissolved in 1/2 cup hot water)
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons fish sauce (patis)
1/4 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a pan, fry potatoes and carrots until color turns to light brown. Drain and set aside.
1. In the same pan, saute garlic and onion until soft.
2. Add chicken and pork then stir cook until color turns to light brown.
3. Add fish sauce, dissolved curry powder and water then simmer for 15 minutes or until meat is tender.
4. Add celery, bell peppers, fried potatoes and carrots then simmer for a minute.
5. Add cream, salt and ground pepper then simmer for another 3-5 minutes or until slightly thickens. Keep stirring.
6. Remove from heat and transfer to serving plate. Garnish with chopped celery leaves.
7. Serve hot with steamed rice.
Filipino Style Recipe: Crispy pork kilawin is another popular spicy and sour appetizer that usually served as finger food(pulutan). Normally the pork meat(usually cheek and ears) comes boiled and grilled then chop into small pieces. Mix well with onions, vinegar, soy sauce, salt and pepper.
Estimated time of preparation: 10 minutes
Estimated time of cooking: 30-40 minutes
Good for 5-7 servings
1 kilo pork meat(combination of cheek, ear and snout)
2 big red onions, chopped
2 thumb-sized gingers, minced(optional)
3 hot chili(siling labuyo), chopped
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
2 pieces green chili(siling haba), slice diagonally
1/2 cup vinegar
1/3 cup soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a pot, Pour water, pork and salt. Bring to boil for 30-40 minutes or until soft and tender.
2. Drain and grill over hot charcoal until browned and crisp.
3. Let it cool then chopped into small pieces.
1. In a large bowl, place chopped pork and other ingredients. Toss to combine.
2. Serve! best for pulutan.
Filipino Style Recipe: Tom Yam or Thai Prawn Soup is a popular Thai soup dish. It consists of shrimps with lemon, fish sauce and some herbs and spices. I love tom yum soup but the only way to have it is in thai restaurants and usually, they are a bit pricey.While I was in the grocery I passed by this aisle with premixes and I decided to try one of the tom yum instant mix. I just added some of the ingredients to enhance the flavors and tadaaa! I have my budget friendly tom yum soup.
1/4 kilo medium-sized shrimps, washed, peeled, and deveined.(save the head)
1 can shitake mushrooms, halved (you can substitute with button mushroom)
2 stalks lemon grass(tanglad), cut into 2 inch stalks and pounded
1 pack instant tom yum soup mix
1 piece onion cut into quater
1 small ginger cut into small strips
1 tablespoon fish sauce(preferably Thai fish sauce)
2 cups water
Spring onion, cut into 1 inch sticks for garnish
1. Put the shrimp head in boiling water and let it boil for 5 minutes to release the flavor. Strain the shrimp head out of the boiling water.
2. Add onions, ginger, mushroom, and lemon grass and let it boil for 3 minutes.
3. Add the tom yum soup mix.
4. Add the shimp and cook until color turns bright orange, around 3 minutes.Season with fish sauce.
5. Remove and transfer to serving bowl. Top with spring onions.
Filipino Style Recipe: Caramel French Toast is a popular breakfast meal that consisting of sliced bread soak in eggs-milk mixture then coated with sugar. Toast with butter over a low heat then serve with caramel syrup.
8 slices bread
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder(optional)
a dash of salt
2/3 cup brown sugar
powdered or confectioner’s sugar(optional)
1. In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, cinnamon, salt then mix until well blended
2. Soak the sliced bread for a few seconds into mixture one at a time then gently turn to coat the other side.
3. Coat with brown sugar.
1. In a frying pan, melt 1 teaspoon butter over low heat.
2. Toast each bread until bottom turns to golden brown then turn the bread over and do the same way.
3. Repeat the procedures for remaining slices.
1. Transfer toasted bread to serving plate, then dust with confectioners’ sugar.
2. Serve immediately with caramel syrup together with hot coffee.
Filipino Style Recipe: This chocolate chip cookies recipe gives you a double dose of chocolate goodness.
1 pack butter or margarine, softened
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla extract and beat again until well combined.
2. In another bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Add into the batter and mix well blended. Fold in the chocolate chips.
3. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls on ungreased cookie sheets.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees Farenheit.Remove from the oven and cool for 3-5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
Filipino Style Recipe: Strawberry Cheese Cupcakes is a mouth-watering dessert that can be served in all kind of occasion.
1 small can strawberry pie filling
10-12 muffin cups
2 cups crushed grahams
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 packs cream cheese, softened at room temperature
1 can condensed milk
1 lemon, juiced and zested
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoon flour
1. In a bowl, mix together the crust ingredients until well combined.
2. Grease muffin pan and line with muffin cups.
3. Scoop a mixture and press into the the bottom of each muffin cup.
4. Bake in preheated oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven but keep the oven on.
1. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese using an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
2. Gradually beat in the condensed milk. Mix in lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract.
3. Beat in the eggs at low speed one at a time until just combined.
4. Add the flour and beat again.
1. Pour the cream cheese mixture into the muffin cups until 2/3 full.
2. Bake for 25 minutes without opening the oven.
3. Let it cool completely then place scoop of strawberry filling.
4. Refrigerate for at least 4 hourse until ready to serve.