Making a pie from scratch may sound intimidating. But it you look into the procedure and ingredients, they are very simple. You may prepare the crust ahead of time and refrigerate.
For the pie crust:
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 cup butter, cold and cubed
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Lemon Curd Filling:
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoon all purpose flour
3 tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/2 cup water
1 lemon, juiced and zested
2 tablespoon butter
4 egg yolk
For the meringue:
4 egg whites
6 tablespoon granulated sugar
1. To prepare the crust, in a medium bowl, sift together the flour and confectioner’s sugar. Fold in the butter using a fork until mixture forms small crumbs. Stir in the egg and vanilla extract and mix until it forms a dough. If the mixture feels greasy, add some flour. Roll flat around 1/4 inch thick and to about an inch larger than pie plate. Fold carefully in half, lift to pie plate, and unfold. Press into pan. Trim edge with a small knife and pinch edges to form the desired design.Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes at 300 Fahrenheit. Remove from oven and set aside.
2. For the lemon curd, in a medium pan, whisk together the sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat while stirring frequently to avoid burning on the bottom, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Pour filling into baked pie crust.
3. To Make Meringue: In a large mixing bowl, whip egg whites using an electric mixer until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie making sure all edges of the pie is sealed.
4. Bake the pie in preheated oven at 350 Fahrenheit for 10 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Remove from oven and let it cool. Once cooled, refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. This is important to avoid a runny curd.
This is a twist from the regular Oreo cor Graham crusted cheesecake that we usually have. You may also use the brownie recipe posted here (http://filipinostylerecipe.com/2014/04/chewy-brownies/) if you don’t have a boxed brownie and just cut the recipe ingredients in half.
1 box (19 oz) brownie mix
4 packs cream cheese, softened
1 cup sour cream
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoon vanila
2 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup mini chocolate chip
1. Grease bottom of 9 inch springform pan. Prepare brownie based on package instruction . Spread evenly on the prepared pan and bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 5 minutes less than stated in the package.Remove from oven and let it cool while preparing the cheesecake.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, sour cream, vanilla and mix until well combined. Add flour and mix until just combined.
3. Cover the chocolate chips with flour to avoid from sinking into the bottom. Fold in the chocolate chips into the cheesecake mixture.
4. Pour the cheesecake mixture over the brownie crust and bake for 45 minutes. Open the oven and let the cheesecake sit for 30 minutes to an hour before removing i. Cool completely before putting in the refrigerator.
Good for 12 Cupcakes
Dulce de Leche:
1/2 cup condensed milk
1 cup evaporated milk
1 piece egg yolk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice with 1/4 cup water
Prepare the dulce de leche:
1. In a saucepan combine the condensed milk, evaporated milk, egg yolk, and cornstarch. Mix until the egg and cornstarch as well blended.
2. Cook over medium heat while stirring consistently until mixture becomes thick around 20-30 minutes.
3. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and butter.
4. Let it cool.
Prepare the cupcake:
1.In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. Add the milk, egg, oil, and vanilla extract. Mix until all ingredients are well blended.
3. Boil the lemon juice in a saucepan, remove from heat and immediately beat into the batter.
4. Fill cupcake liners until 3/4 full. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and let it cool.
6. Top with the cooked dulce de leche.
7. You can also drizzle with salted caramel sauce.
You can use this salted caramel sauce to drizzle on your favorite pastries or even on smoothies, or just eat it on its own as a dessert. You can prepare ahead of time and store in the fridge for future use.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoon butter, cut into small cubes
2 tablespoon all purpose cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. In a pan over medium heat, put the sugar and wait until it starts to melt. Do not stir the unmelted portion as this will cause the sugar to harden. The sugar will turn to thick amber colored liquid. You may now start stirring careful not to burn the sugar.
2. Stir the butter until completely melted.
3. Slowly drizzle the all purpose cream . The mixture will bubble rapidly, continuously stir until the cream is evenly incorporated.The mixture will thicken once cooled.
4. Remove from heat and stir half of the salt. You may add the other half depending on your preference to the saltiness of your salted caramel.
Note: Put in a bottle and cover tightly if not yet to be used. You may store this in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
1 cup whip cream
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup Honey
1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted and diced (chopped some into small pieces)
1 cup crushed graham cookies
1. In a mixer, combine cream, vanilla extract and honey then whip until stiff peaks.
2. Add chopped mango and mix until just blended.
1. In a serving glass, add a layer of crushed graham then a layer of mango-cream mixture.
2. Add another layer of crushed graham then another layer of mango-cream mixture.
3. Add another layer of crushed graham then top with diced mango.
4. Repeat the procedure for the remaining glasses.
5. Refrigerate for 45 minutes before serving.
Filipino Style Recipe: This crisp and sweet meringue is perfect with the freshness and tangy flavor of the mango. It is a perfect balance of different flavors and textures. This will be surely enjoyed by adults and kids alike.
4 egg whites from 4 large egg
pinch of salt
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 piece ripe mango, diced in small chunks
1. Preheat oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheets with parchment paper then sprinkle with flour. Set aside.
2.In a bowl of an electric mixer fitter with whisk attachment, beat egg white and salt until still peaks form.Add cornstarch and vinegar and mix until just combine.
3. Scoop around 3 tablespoon of the meringue mixture into the baking sheets and form into small nest. Do the same to make other nests.
4. Place in the oven and lower the temperature to 210 F. Bake for 30 -35 minutes or until the meringue is crisp on the outside.Turn off the oven and open the oven door but leave the meringue to cool inside.
5. Remove from oven. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Top only with the mango when ready to consume to keep the crispiness of the meringue.
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/3 cup sour cream
4 tablespoon milk
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
For the Frosting:
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1 (8 ounce) cream cheese, chilled
1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
1. In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat together the sugar and butter until creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating lightly after each addition. Add the sour cream,milk, and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
3. Gradually add the flour mixture and mix using spatula until no dry lumps remain. Fold in the grated cheese. Do not over mix.
4. Put cupcake cups into muffin pan and pour batter into each cup until almost full, around 3/4 of the cup.
5. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes.Remove from oven and let it cool slightly before frosting.
To prepare the frosting:
1. In a bowl on top of a pan with boiling water, melt the chocolate chips.Let it cool.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Slowly add the melted chocolate and beat again until well combined.
3. Frost the cupcake.
Filipino Style Recipe: Silvanas is a popular Filipino dessert made from a layer of buttercream sandwiched between meringue sheets then coated with ground biscuits.
3/4 cup cashew nuts, grind until finely ground
6 egg large whites
1 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup salted butter, softened
1 cup confectioner’s sugar, sifted
1/2 cup milk
ground biscuit or crumbs
1. In an electric mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar.
2. Add granulated sugar gradually then beat until it forms a stiff peak.
3. Add ground cashew nuts then fold.
1. In a baking pan lined with parchment paper, Pour and level the meringue using a spatula.
2. Bake in a preheat oven over 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let it cool then refrigerate until consumed.
3. Then Use round or oval shape cookie cutter to cut into pieces.
1. In a mixing bowl, beat butter until creamy then add confectioner’s sugar gradually.
2. Gradually add milk then beat until well combined.
1. Spread buttercream on one meringue sheet.
2. Put another sheet on top.
3. Cover all sides with buttercream.
4. Roll and cover all sides with ground biscuit then take out the excess.
5. Refrigerate before serving.
Filipino Style Recipe: Ice Scramble or iskrambol is a popular Filipino street food consists of shaved ice, milk, sugar, extract and red liquid coloring. This dessert is easy and simple to preapared and usually served during meryenda (mid-afternoon snack) or summer season.
1 medium-sized can evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon banana or vanilla extract
few drops of red liquid coloring
3 cups shaved ice
1. In a mixing bowl, combine evaporated milk, banana extract, sugar and liquid coloring.
2. Add shaved ice then mix until well blended.Adjust consistency as desired.
1. In a cup, pour ice mixture then top with milk powder, marshmallow and chocolate syrup.
2. Serve immediately.
Photo credit to Soneng
Filipino Style Recipe: Strawberry Panna Cotta is another variety of popular panna cotta dessert. My version of strawberry panna cotta is simple yet looks very elegant. This dessert will definitely impress your guests. It is very light and refreshing to the taste buds.
1 cup crushed grahams
4 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoon melted butter
1 cup whipped cream
1 pack instant pudding mix, strawberry flavor
250 grams strawberry pie filling
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the crushed grahams sugar and melted butter. Press onto the bottom of the serving glass around 2 tablespoon each.
2. Add the whipped cream on the next layer until half of the glass. You can use a plastic bag and cut on the edge to pipe the cream easily into the glass.
3. Prepare the pudding mix according package instruction. Pour on top of the whipped cream until almots full. Chill until the pudding is set. Top with strawberry pie filling.